Wednesday 2 July 2014

Couldn't Stay Away from Sardegna






For my exchange week back in April I went to Sardegna, more specifically the town of Iglesias in the south of Sardegna. I had the most amazing time and would definitely say it's been one of my highlights so far this year. When my Sardinian host family asked if I'd like to return for a week I was so excited! I had wanted to go during term time but AFS being AFS said I had to wait until school had finished so that I didn't miss any. It was so nice to see my host family again and this time we went out lots with their close group of friends; going to the beach, bike riding and even doing an overnight camp on the beach.

The night that we camped on the beach there was rain and lightning so at about 2AM we all went to take shelter in the beach bar with the security guard while he slept. It turned out to be such a funny night that I'll never forget!

One random thing that I don't think I've ever mentioned is that here in Italy when on the beach everyone just wears their togs, if they're planning to swim or not. This is a huge difference for me because in NZ we would generally only wear our togs when swimming or at least when we're going to go/have been swimming, and then cover up with at least a singlet. Here everyone just seems so comfortable in their togs no matter what their shape or size which is actually pretty nice! The sun is probably a big factor in this too though - I haven't been burnt once this year in Italy whereas at home I can get burnt by being in the garden for 10 minutes. It's amazing how our environment influences cultural normalities like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment